Friday, August 10, 2007

Skye


Around this time last year I was in Scotland, on the Isle of Skye.

If I was in more of a poetic mood, I could probably come up with the right words to describe how much I love Skye and its people. I have said in the past that if I make it to heaven, it will be just like Skye. I think about it every day, and can't wait to return. Tomorrow, next week...whenever. If I turn up missing one day, and if you want to find me, you should check there first.

When work and life become difficult, and the city and the heat and the commute and the pressure start to grate on my nerves, just knowing that the sheep are meandering down the one-lane road to Dunvegan and that the hot marmalade pudding is on the stove at the Three Chimneys is enough to pull me through another day.

Another place that brings me a great deal of joy, where I am headed this weekend, is Western New York where my father's family lives. This will be my first visit since the passing of my Uncle Chuck last October 1. The family is gathering for a memorial golf tournament, and I know it will be a bitersweet reunion. I am very excited to see my family, but know that Uncle Chuck's absence will be a difficult adjustment. I miss him so much.

No comments: